RMR's Response to COVID-19
Rocky Mountain Reagents takes the health and safety of our employees, customers, and community very seriously. With the rapidly changing situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to keep you informed about our efforts to combat further spread of the illness as well as note the impact on our operations.
Rocky Mountain Reagents has an emergency preparedness protocol that has been recently updated using recommendations by the CDC for responding to contagious illness. Increased social distancing, hand washing, and surface disinfecting are being implemented. Colorado State and County administrations have issued mandatory mask requirements and as such we are requiring all employees, contractors, and visitors to don facial coverings within the building. Will-Call customers are being asked to complete their purchases before picking up their orders to better limit interaction with employees. We also request that they wear facial coverings upon arrival.
Employees have been instructed to stay home if they are feeling any of the COVID-19 symptoms including but not limited to fever, cough, or shortness of breath. RMR has a robust PTO and sick policy to ensure that our employees have income security if required to stay home.
Impacts on our Services:
There have been increased disruptions to the transportation system. Heavier volume and COVID-related terminal closings have placed greater strain on ground and freight carriers that, in turn, have lead to increased transit times and rising costs across many lanes. Additional restrictions put in place by government authorities may result in further shipping and supply-chain disruptions. Please take these delays into consideration when placing an order; we promise that we are working as quickly as the situation allows and cannot control for disruptions and delays that arise during transit.
We have been alerted by vendors (and manufacturers of disinfection solvents in particular) that there will likely be price surges as well as restricted stock availability given heightened demand and supply chain disruption. While the price of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) has increased since the beginning of the year (especially for USP-grade material), availability has stabilized and we are no longer limiting sales exclusively to existing customers. Please inquire directly with a member of our sales staff about product availability and lead times.
We sincerely thank you for your understanding and continued support as we adapt to these difficult circumstances together.
Please see updates and developments posted on this page directly below.
Liz Geisleman, Vice-President of Rocky Mountain Reagents
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the demand for nitrile gloves has sky-rocketed and has not diminished. As a result, we have had to increase prices in line with increases from our suppliers. Unfortunately, it seems that these price increases are unlikely to reverse any time soon and more increases are likely to come. We have outlined some industry stats below to show how recent events and trends have created the situation we are currently experiencing.
We understand that increased costs for vital equipment are disruptive and we are only increasing prices as it becomes absolutely necessary. We are not selling large quantities in order to A.) Ensure inventory availability, and B.) To prevent stockpiling by entities looking to resell product at an even higher cost.
Thank you for bearing with us as we all do our best to weather the economic challenges facing us all.
Current Supply and Demand
- The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a 45% increase in global glove demand or 135 billion pieces. Pre-pandemic, global demand for single-use gloves was 300 billion pieces per year.
- The current glove supply shortage is due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and low PPE stockpiles globally.
- Raw material suppliers have put single-use glove manufacturers on allocation, new nitrile reactor capacities will start coming on-line in Q2 2021, resulting in an additional 10% increase in output.
- Rising costs are due to the supply and demand imbalance, shortage of nitrile materials, and government agencies leapfrogging distributors to buy directly from manufacturers willing to pay much higher prices to secure supply.
- Manufacturers are raising product prices higher than the raw material cost to generate capital to pay for line expansions and factory upgrades.
- The largest producers in Malaysia (65% share), Thailand (25% share), and China (10% share) are using idle capacity to increase output 10% to 15%.
- The additional manufacturing glove capacity should start to be available in Q1/Q2 2021; manufacturers are increasing capacity by an estimated 20%. By Q2 2022, the industry can only add an additional 25% in new production capacity.
- Supposedly, new production lines are being designed to optimize quantity output limiting product offerings to 3.5 gram and lighter weight gloves.
- Raw material suppliers/converters have stated the new capacity being added is based on budgeted investments prior to COVID-19, raw material suppliers will not invest in new production capacity as a result of increased demand driven by COVID-19.
It's been a while since there has been an update posted here! But here are some key things to be aware of:
- We are no longer limiting sales of any product exclusively to current customers
- Gloves and other PPE have limits upon the amounts that can be purchased at one time
- Prices on some products have changed, but you can see the most current pricing at the Rocky Mountain Reagents website
- Some products are not immediately available, please email email@example.com to inquire about your specific needs
- Shipping times and pricing may have increased depending upon location due to COVID-19 mayhem
Please reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns. Please social distance, wear a mask, and take care of yourself and the people around you, and we'll get through this!
Our flat rate, normal delivery schedule resumed today with increased procedures in place to maintain social distancing, reduce interaction and wear protective masks and gloves while making deliveries.
The RMR team remains diligent in doing our part for the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. As an essential business, we remain open and supplying our customers while also going above and beyond compliance around social distancing, workplace sanitation and limiting entrance into the front office.
Technical Grade Isopropyl Alcohol - 1 gallons are back in stock, but are still on strict allocation.
Due to the shortage, we are currently out of Technical Grade Isopropyl Alcohol - 1 gallons until further notice.
Due to nationwide shortages, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethanol (200Proof and 190Proof) and 710Spirits® are temporarily on allocation to current customers of these products only and pricing is subject to change daily. USP Grade Isopropyl Alcohol is unavailable at this time.
Please check out our latest Blog post below for alcohol supply chain status update and key hand sanitizer information:
Rocky Mountain Reagents will remain open for business, as under the United States Department of Homeland Security we are considered an Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce.
In accordance with Colorado state mandates around COVID-19, 50% of Rocky Mountain Reagents workforce is working from home while the remaining critical in-person employees are working at least six feet apart and/or are taking segmented shifts to reduce the amount of workers in the building at all times.
Beginning Monday, March 30th, 2020, RMR will temporarily suspend all direct delivery service to non-essential businesses. We will also be shipping the same or next day rather than specific delivery days. This will ensure that essential businesses get their materials in case of any wider shutdowns.
We are staying in close communication with our approved transportation partners to ensure we are continuing to service your area. Our partner carriers have assured us that they are taking every proactive measure possible to increase sanitation of shipments once they leave our warehouse and are delivered to your facility.
Orders continue to be available for Will Call pickup and for shipment through partner carriers. Changes to Pick Up/Delivery procedures:
- No non-essential staff will be allowed inside the front door.
- We are meeting all customers for pick-up orders outside.
- Drivers will sign for deliveries themselves to reduce physical interaction.
- Customers needing to pay at pick-up are required to provide credit card information prior to pick-up or bring exact cash to reduce the exchange and handling of money.
For faster response time due to higher than usual order volumes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your orders.
Please note: Denatured Alcohols (CDA and SDA) are not suitable for making hand sanitizer due to the added chemicals used to denature. Ethyl Alcohol and Isopropyl Alcohol are the only FDA approved alcohols for topical use.
Internally, all employees are continuing to wash our hands regularly, wear gloves, disinfect work surfaces frequently and practice social distancing. Employees are not coming to work if they are sick or been exposed. Warehouse workers are required to wear gloves at all times.
We thank you for your continued patience as we work together to triumph through this challenging time.
Due to nationwide shortages Isopropyl Alcohol is temporarily on allocation to current customers only, pricing may be subject to change and USP Grade is unavailable at this time.
To help reduce physical contact and enact recommended social distancing measures, we are meeting customers for pick-up orders just outside our shipping/receiving entrance (weather permitting). Otherwise, we have a designated waiting area inside the front door. Customers needing to pay at pick-up/will-call are encouraged to provide credit card information prior to arrival when possible and/or to bring exact cash to reduce the exchange and handling of money.
Internally, all employees are continuing to wash hands regularly, wear gloves, disinfect work surfaces frequently and practice social distancing from one another.
We are staying in close communication with our transportation partners to ensure we are able to successfully service your area. Our partner shipping carriers have assured us that they are taking every proactive measure possible to increase sanitation of shipments once they leave our warehouse and are delivered to your facility.
For any additional support or resources, please reach out to email@example.com.